3101 Balboa Dr
Camps during COVID
Campers will participate in a range of activities, all of which are age-appropriate games, hikes, and crafts determined by the counselors and what the group likes to do. Activities include Stem Activities, Archery, Hiking, Art and Crafts, Scavenger Hunts, and more.
At this time, we have limited Camp programming for children between the ages of 4-12 years old.
Click on the links below for more information.
A typical day begins with all Campers meeting at their assigned Camp Sites. All Campers will be in small groups of children of the same age, with whom they will spend the entire session. The camper Staff ratio will be 2:12. Camp CaHiTo is a “group-centered” camp – meaning that our campers have the same counselor and peer group for the duration of the camp session. Group-centered camping gives children the best opportunity to experience the powerful feeling of belonging, to make and keep new friends, and to connect with their counselors.
Campers participate in various activities, including age-appropriate games, hikes, and crafts determined by the counselors and what the group likes to do. Activities include Stem Activities, Archery, Hiking, Art and Crafts, Scavenger Hunts, and more.
Camp CaHiTo is located at 3101 Balboa Drive, San Diego, CA 92101. The west side of Balboa Park, conveniently located in Balboa Park near I-5 and the 163 freeways. We will have three drop-off and pick-up times; please check your registration for the appropriate times.
Camp Hours – Group A 7:30 am – 4:00 pm / Group B 8:00 am – 4:30 pm / Group C 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
What campers should bring to Camp
- Two face coverings to wear throughout the day. Masks will be required throughout the day and removed for eating and drinking only.
- Campers should bring a lunch and snacks. Refrigeration is not available; please do not send perishable foods. (Camp will not be providing a snack, and the Snack Shack will be closed)
- A Water bottle with your camper’s names on it. Drinking fountains will not be available, but water stations will be available to refill bottles.
- Comfortable play clothes, as campers, WILL get dirty.
- Closed-toed shoes and socks are required. No sandals or open back shoes.
- A hat or cap and sunscreen. Parents should apply sunscreen before campers arrive at Camp in the morning.
(Age of Camper at start of Camp)
Little Stars: 4-5 years old
Starflight: 5-7 years old
Adventure: 8-10 years old
Discovery: 11-13 years old
Health and Safety
Camp Fire San Diego – Camp CaHiTo continues to follow guidance by federal, state, and local authorities, and the American Camp Association, and the guidance from public health departments at the State and County levels to keep our campers and staff populations safe and healthy. The safety and health of all of our campers and staff is always the highest priority. We have always taken great care to develop and maintain medical practices to address various communicable diseases, both common and rare.
We will continually be updating our policy as additional COVID-19 guidance is provided. Camp Cancellations will be made in accordance with guidelines from public health authorities, coupled with other considerations. We will follow all directives to reduce exposure at Camp and continue to update you if the public health department decides on: quarantines, Camp closures, and exclusion policies.
While Camp might look a little different this year, we hope campers find the same high-quality programming they have come to love at Camp CaHiTo.
The safety of our campers, their families, and our staff is our top priority, which is why we’ve implemented additional protective measures that include increased cleaning, sanitizing, prescreen health checks, and physical distancing.
Our day camp operations will meet or exceed the required standards set forth by local and national experts to ensure a safe experience, including:
- Daily temperature checks are mandatory for all campers and staff before check-in. Any camper with a temperature exceeding 100°F will not be allowed to attend Camp that day.
- Low staff-to-camper ratios based on the age range of campers:
- 5-13 Years Old: 2 staff to 14 campers
- Camp groups will retain the same assigned staff all week.
- Frequent handwashing and enhanced sanitation practices.
- Staff will sanitize supplies and facilities throughout the day.
- Camp activities will follow social distancing guidelines.
- Camp groups will have limited to zero interaction with other groups, following social distancing guidelines.
- Suspended activities include museum trips; large group activities; indoor activities, fort building, and group singing.
- The staff has been provided with personal protective equipment (PPE), including masks and gloves.
- The staff has been trained in new COVID-19 procedures and safety protocols.
Camp Fire SD Membership
All campers must be a Camp Fire SD member for $25. Benefits include but are not limited to Member Only Discounts, Newsletters, and Events. Membership is valid for 365 days.